A Corollary
What became clear to me from my last post as I was busy writing it in typical rebel-without-a-cause fashion and having trouble making my thoughts lucid was that there is a dichotomy between classroom management and delivery. I suppose a good system for the former must be in place in order to successfully employ the latter, but still, somehting makes me uneasy about Dr. Bounds methodology. Much like Steven Pinker scoffed at the training of chimpanzees being called learning, so too do I scoff at unthinking behavior as the breeding grounds for learning. It works for state tests, but again, I don't want to train kids to take a state test, I want to train them to think critically. And I don't believe I can do that by pointing a proverbial gun to their heads, handing them a textbook and a worksheet and some blank paper and telling them to produce.
I'll repeat for the nth time that I haven't really thought this through as I might, for example, be doing for a term paper if one was actually assigned to us, so anybody with some thoughts, please jump in and I'd love to hash out a meaningful conclusion through some unpremeditated dialogue...
I'll repeat for the nth time that I haven't really thought this through as I might, for example, be doing for a term paper if one was actually assigned to us, so anybody with some thoughts, please jump in and I'd love to hash out a meaningful conclusion through some unpremeditated dialogue...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home