.comment-link {margin-left:.6em;}

Veritas - A DJ Ohns Production

The archive posts that run through the summer 0f 2007 reflect my time as a graduate student in the Mississippi Teacher Corps and as a Latin teacher in Jackson, MS. It has since become my personal blog.

12/03/2005

Dave 1 Administrators 0

The shit finally hit the fan.

The gods do not show favor to whiners, and they punished me accordingly by commanding my school administrators in a dream to read my last blog right after I had posted it. (They didn't actually read it of course, but still, it was one of those fateful occurences that couldn't possibly be a coincidence. Being a good non-Christian classicist, it seems to me that the gods do poke their hands down to watch over us from time to time.)

Tuesday morning I didn't show up for duty. Instead, I was busy grading papers, because I had a whole heap of them I'd been promising to return for many moons and was just barely not quite finished with them. Then Mr. Smith, the robot, notices me in my room and marks his little paper and walks away. He of course relays the dire news to Coach Jackson, the weasel, who in turn writes a note to Dr. Jackson, the bitch, since she's the one who's actually in charge of me. Dr. Jackson notices that I haven't yet turned in my lesson plans, and the note directing me to a conference during my offperiod arrives at my door.

So I have a conference with all the vice principals for a good half hour or so, and they start giving me the run down, blah blah blah. After realizing that there's a teacher sitting in their room who actually devotes time to writing decent lesson plans even if they are late and works an hour before and after school every day to prepare for students and not a teacher who has his wife do half-assedly, for example, they start to console me and take a less stern approach. That's the benefit of caring - you may feel guilty and not measure up sometimes, but people will eventually who's turning in the bullshit and who isn't. I think, of course, that their mood was a little softened by Brian Hawkin's story, and I would put a link in here directing to his blog if I knew how.

The principal pays a visit a few days later acknowledging that the administration needs to basically be less robotic and more supportive instead. Major's a good guy with a level head, so it was nice for him to tell me that if I'm having problems it's okay, like getting lesson plans in on time. So the story ends well in the end for our hero, Mr. Jones, but damn it made my week a lot more stressful than it needed to be.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home