Homework
The best way to ensure that students do their homework is, simply enough, to assign homework. I’ve found that when they consistently expect it and it plays an integral role in learning the material, they will consistently do it. But if the work is just busy work or is only assigned once every so often, they won’t do it, and (almost) rightfully so. Busy work is simply degrading to students, and if they’re not used to doing homework (just like any other positive behavior like exercising or reading) they just can’t force their persons to do it on the occasions they should. I don’t do anything profound myself, I just make sure that in each chapter I cover in my Latin textbook I reserve a few exercises for classwork and a few more difficult exercises for homework. That way, students are integrating the material at a higher level or at least thinking about it on their own at home and we can puzzle through it all together first thing in class before moving on. Occasionally one or a few students doesn’t have it done, which is understandable, but the culture in my class is that they can expect homework every day and they learn very fast to start opening books at home, because otherwise they’ll fall behind in a hurry. Latin, like any language, builds upon itself cumulatively, so when thinking about homework becomes an important part of learning whatever particular lesson, students will rise to the occasion, because the majority does actually care to learn as well as get the grade. On the occasions when a student does not have it done, they are responsible for it as well as extra make-up work. I simply write their names on the board, record what assignment they missed, and slap a due date on it, so that I can take my mind off it while giving the impression that it’s the only thing I think about when I go home. The work almost always shows up. Again, I’m not reinventing the wheel, but it is surprisingly easy to make homework work despite common teacher complaints that they just can’t make it happen. For a first year teacher, however, who may not quite be used to the teacher-student back and forth game, it can be just like a classroom management issue in which it takes much conscious effort to correct a bad situation and change the culture. One need not be too strict, either; I’m a very laid back teacher, I just happen to expect a high level of personal performance at home so that we can be serious yet fun in school. My students may complain that they have too much homework, but they always do it, and at the same time they talk to each other about how fun and productive class is as well. At least, I think they do…

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home