W.C. Don's
Assigned blog time.
Have I ever run into a student at a club/bar?
Yes, not too long ago actually. Typically this won't happen, since I much prefer my debauchery in the safety of my own apartment, and when I do go out, I tend to frequent bars within walking distance, which luckily are avoided by high school students. But a few weeks ago...
'Twas the night before the GRE and I couldn't fall asleep. I'm a Nervous Nellie sometimes about these things, no matter how much I tell myself that I'm being foolish, so I headed down to W.C. Don's. Beer, I thought, would calm me. This particular pub is somewhat known for its high school-age punkish concerts, but nobody ever hangs out in the separate bar section besides the barkeep. A small risk, but worth taking: it was a nice quiet place to study flash cards, watch a World Series game, drink a beer or three and chill out before I take the test. So there I am about to have my fourth and final beer of the night, smoking another cigarette, when in walks my AP Latin student also with a beer in hand and cigarette dangling from her lips. Oops. It's Halloween weekend and apparently every white-skinned teenager in Jackson is looking for the punk show/costume contests.
So after an awkward few moments she convinced me to stay for her friends' little punk show. I figured that the worst was over, having shocked each other initially, and staying for the show was a welcome distraction that didn't seem inappropriate. I remember when several of my own high school teachers showed up for my own shitty high school band's shitty concerts, and it was the nicest thing to see that they supported me. This isn't the same, of course, and if it was any other student I probably would have left, but I feel like staying (and putting away the beer and cigarettes) was actually the mature action to take. Not everyone will agree, I realize, but when push comes to shove I feel like more of a professional adult having stayed and patronized the situation than I would have running away ashamed and embarrassed.
I'd love to hear what anyone thinks, and I'm sure I've left out a few details, so let 'er rip, whoever reads these things. I'm curious myself as to what others may think of this or similar situations...
Have I ever run into a student at a club/bar?
Yes, not too long ago actually. Typically this won't happen, since I much prefer my debauchery in the safety of my own apartment, and when I do go out, I tend to frequent bars within walking distance, which luckily are avoided by high school students. But a few weeks ago...
'Twas the night before the GRE and I couldn't fall asleep. I'm a Nervous Nellie sometimes about these things, no matter how much I tell myself that I'm being foolish, so I headed down to W.C. Don's. Beer, I thought, would calm me. This particular pub is somewhat known for its high school-age punkish concerts, but nobody ever hangs out in the separate bar section besides the barkeep. A small risk, but worth taking: it was a nice quiet place to study flash cards, watch a World Series game, drink a beer or three and chill out before I take the test. So there I am about to have my fourth and final beer of the night, smoking another cigarette, when in walks my AP Latin student also with a beer in hand and cigarette dangling from her lips. Oops. It's Halloween weekend and apparently every white-skinned teenager in Jackson is looking for the punk show/costume contests.
So after an awkward few moments she convinced me to stay for her friends' little punk show. I figured that the worst was over, having shocked each other initially, and staying for the show was a welcome distraction that didn't seem inappropriate. I remember when several of my own high school teachers showed up for my own shitty high school band's shitty concerts, and it was the nicest thing to see that they supported me. This isn't the same, of course, and if it was any other student I probably would have left, but I feel like staying (and putting away the beer and cigarettes) was actually the mature action to take. Not everyone will agree, I realize, but when push comes to shove I feel like more of a professional adult having stayed and patronized the situation than I would have running away ashamed and embarrassed.
I'd love to hear what anyone thinks, and I'm sure I've left out a few details, so let 'er rip, whoever reads these things. I'm curious myself as to what others may think of this or similar situations...

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home